Monday, January 5, 2009

5 Ways to Instantly Improve Comics

When I was younger the only thing that really made a comic good to me was the action, thrill and neatness. I didn’t need a deep story, or some underlying issue or personal relationships. I just wanted something fun. And while I still want those in my comics, I have grown to appreciate the sub plots, relationships and all the other deep things that can be included. However, being older and wiser you also catch on to more things that make the comics a lot worse. And some f these problems are easily fixed, yet are stubbornly clung to.

To this end, I’ve gone and picked what I consider the five most prevalent things about comics that could easily be changed that would makes current comics multitudes better than they are now.



Less Emphasis on Shock Value/Impact
It seems every story now is written to either end in a major shocker or have a long lasting, major impact on the title. And I’m not talking the major events where it is expected, I’m talking regular character or team titles. It’s not that there is anything wrong with shock value or major impact per se, but it’s when it becomes the main intent that it turns into a problem. Honestly, when is the last time an X-Men arc was written that didn’t have some major impact on the future of Mutant kind? I’m not saying take both these elements out of comics, but writers need to lay off because it seems they are more interested in impressing their readers than actually telling them a good story.



Lay off the Dark and Foreboding Stories
Like above, it’s not a bad thing until you start doing it all the time, which is exactly what is happening. I get that “dark” is in, but why does every story have to be that way? During the entire Volume 4 or Volume 5 runs of Iron Man, has there been one story that has portrayed a sense of happiness, or some bright future ahead? Execute Program, Haunted, Five Nightmares, they’ve all had a dark and depressing tone. Comics are becoming like the news: gloom and doom. I mean, give us something to smile and cheer about for once.


Brighter Colors
Just like the stories, the colors have become more muted and darker to help get the mood across. I cannot tell you how much I loved the colors in Iron Man: Legacy of Doom because they were so bright and vibrant, and added a sense of life to the series. That’s rarely seen anymore. Bright and deep colors really give a sense of life to comics, I don't know how that’s become forgotten.


Less Politics
Seriously, people don't buy comics for politics. I don't want to know the writers opinion on serious matter x, nor do I care even if you tell me. Some politics is fine, but when it’s a major chunk of the story (i.e. Civil War) the arc takes a huge nosedive. Honestly, why would the readers care? We don't buy comics for that. In fact, we buy comics to get away from that stuff. And worse, we have to sit by and read a story that’s geared to the writer’s personal feelings, so it’s not even going o be unbiased.



That Thing Called “Continuity”
Taken directly from Webster’s Dictionary:
1 a: uninterrupted connection, succession, or union b: uninterrupted duration or continuation especially without essential change.

Let me highlight the important part for any of you who actually write for Marvel Comics:
1 a: uninterrupted connection, succession, or union b: uninterrupted duration or continuation especially without essential change.

In other words: STOP RETCONNING EVERYTHING!!!

2 comments:

Peter Welmerink said...

You are correct on all counts. And, man, I just want to see some action, see some good adventure, see hero against foe duking it over over a cityscape, rescuing the helpless as a building gets blown off its foundations, a little humorous banter...just give us some action. Put the friggin SUPER back in SUPERHEROES.

Chaos said...

I agree. It seems like its been so long since comics have been about adventure and heroes vs villains. They really take themseles too seriously. Of course, when there are duke fests all it ever is is Hulk (whichever version it is) beating the hell out of everyone, which I think at this point everyone is just sick of.