Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Five Holiday Wishes for Iron Man

A bit late, but I figured it was still relevant since we have another day in the holiday season. But like everyone, I have my wishes for things to happen for Iron Man in comics. And while it looks like I'm getting one long time wish of extremis being eliminated, I still have a few others. So here are the five things I wish most for Iron Man (in no particular order):

1) New Armor
I don't hide my dislike for the extremis armor. Its neither streamlined nor complicated, seeming unable to decide which is wants to be. The faceplate makes him look alien, and there is nothing special about this armor at all, aesthetic or technical. Its time for a next generation armor that looks cool and actually performs good to, unlike the extremis.


2) A New Colorist
Another pet peeve of mine. I really disliked the colorist during the Knauf's run on DOS, and I don't care much for the current colorist on the Invincible series. I've seen Larocca's work in the past, and it's much better than this. The current color makes his art look very flat and 2D, and every person seems to have a pudgy face. Just look at the Legacy of Doom series and you can see what a good colorist(s) can do for someones art.


3) Rhodey to Lose the Terminator Crap
Not really Iron Man, but Rhodey is easily the best supporting character in his history, and even he has gotten the shaft. His torso and half his face are all that's left of his organic body, and it's just plain stupid and serves no purpose. So here's to a return of the real Rhodey.


4) Be the Hero Of Dark Reign
Yeah, I know, it's not happening. I'm sure he'll be blamed even more at the end of it. Marvel will somehow make it his fault. Again.


5) Marvel to Treat Iron Man Right
I don't think this is too much to ask. For three major events in a row Iron Man has been blamed, and done so deliberately without even good excuses. He's been written out of character to do it too, adding insult to injury. At my comic book shop the other day I was talking to one of the workers who is a Spiderman fan and doesn't pay attention to Iron Man much. But he even said he's sick of them stretching to blame Iron Man for everything and it's to the point of ridiculous. I'm sorry, but when even a non fan thinks the character is being crapped on this much it's a sad state of affairs.

2 comments:

Peter Welmerink said...

It's easy to blame Iron Man/Tony Stark when he keeps standing up and taking the lead on things, trying to make things right. He is a leader, and a futurist...so people are going to view him almost like they view mutants...with fear, misunderstanding, mistrust, etc.

I don't like IM taking the blame for everything either, though I don't feel quite the same...that he is being picked on. Again, I think he's been made an easy scapegoat because he is a leader. He's gonna take some abuse, but I think this will make his character stronger...and the right writers and art team will, hopefully, make him rise from the ashes in all his red-n-gold armored glory.

As far as Rhodey...I will follow and support the WAR MACHINE books just because I still like the character and the armor, and want to see where it all takes him. But I TOTALLY AGREE with you that this effin cyborg thing HAS TO GO. I don't get it. I missed the storyline in how it happened, but either way, it totally detracts from him as a character. He is not the same Rhodey either way you slice it.

What did happen to him, do you know? What book/issue(s)?

Happy New Year, bro.

Chaos said...

Hey,

Thanks for the comment, it's always appreciated.

I expect him to take some of the blame because he is, like you said, the leader. I just think it's gotten out of hand. I mean he's absorbed the entire blame for Civil War and Secret Invasion. There were people who supported him during Civil War and no one but Nick Fury saw the Invasion coming, yet Stark is the only one who has the finger pointed at him for both.

There is no storyline on how Rhodey became a cyborg. I think it was mentioned somewhere it happened during World War Hulk, but there has been nothing concrete. My guess is we'll see what happens during his new series. Sadly, I have a feeling it is going to be Stark's fault. Again.