Monday, January 19, 2009

Is this Hypocrisy, or Just the Absence of Logic?

Joe Q. You know my thoughts on him and they aren’t good. I don’t agree with a lot of the things he has done and I doubt I ever will. But more and more I realize his entire way of thinking is a contradiction. I’d say hypocritical, but I truly think he isn’t smart enough to realize it. He comes up with certain rules he wants the writers to follow, yet doesn’t realize that some of them are contradictions to others he makes. Let me explain.


Smoking is not ok
For those that don’t know, Joe Q banned any kind of smoking from appearing in comics, which is why we never see the likes of Wolverine or Nick Fury having a cigar anymore. He says it sets a bad example and can be a bad influence on younger readers. Really? Well, let me list a few things that are WORSE than smoking, but Joe Q finds perfectly alright to be in comics:
-Violence to solve disputes (pretty much every issue of every book)
-Slavery/conquering
-Drinking/alcoholism
-Intercourse/rape
-Racism (the whole mutant thing)
-Murder and genocide (take your pick)
-Incest (Ultimate Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch)

Any one of these are far worse than smoking is, yet are common themes in comics (except the last one). Am I the only one scratching their head on this?


Realism is key
Joe Q stresses realism. Why? Seriously, why? Comics are not about realism. Yes, there has to be a certain amount so that readers can relate, but he wants just about everything to be real. So let me get this straight: you are the editor in chief of a comic book company, which revolves around fiction, science fiction and fantasy, on things that CAN’T POSSIBLY HAPPEN IN THE REAL WORLD, yet he wants things be as real as possible? I mean, Tony Stark uses the most advanced technology on the planet for his Iron Man armor, supplies SHIELD with their weapons and technology, yet they still fly F-15’s? Am I the only person so utterly confused by this?



No more notes for past issues
But retconning things is ok. How can you say that a writer is not allowed to put an * and a note to show a plot line that happened in a past issue, yet instead you allow them to just wipe the story out?

Actually, now that I think of this, it makes perfect sense. Seeing as how the current writer is ignoring what the past writer did, there is no continuity and thus having the note on the past issue wouldn’t make sense. Well, guess you can strike one up for Joe Q there.



Writers and editors personal opinions mean more than the fans
Look at Spiderman with Brand New Day and Iron Man the last few years. Fans have hated the things that have happened, yet what is Marvel’s response to these fan criticisms? “Well, we think it’s good.” I got news for you Joe, the fans buy the comics and pay your salary. They’ll only tolerate your selfishness for so long.


I could probably go into a long drawn out diatribe, but I just wanted to point these few things out. I mean these things just don’t make sense to me. It’s like some twisted form of reverse logic that is anything but. If you can make sense of it, please tell me.

No comments: