Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Thoughts on Invincible Iron Man #2

With the second issue of the new monthly series out, we get a little more substance to the issue as the first was more of a set up.

To start Iron Man easily takes down the members of AGM and their leader MODOG, who in my opinion was dealt with a bit too easily. In a way it is nice to see Stark handle a foe whos predecessors in the past were major adversaries, in this case MODOK and MODAM, but it just seemed a bit too quick. What I did like about the exchange was that Tony mentioned how he was still using boot jets, and it was hinted that we may be getting a new propulsion system soon. This was actually my favorite part of the book because I felt the boot jets seemed very low tech compared to the rest of the suits features. I think an upgrade to the propulsion system has been needed for some time.

Writer Matt Fraction also seems to have a good grip on Stark through two issues. I am getting vibes of pre-extremis Tony with the writing, him making all his witty comments and retorts. It is also interesting to see Pepper seems to have a thing for Tony once more, but he seems rather oblivious to it. And I still cant help but think that the mention of Bethany Cabe in the first issue is a herald to her return to the series.

The issue ends with Ezekiel Stane introducing himself to Tony and setting off another one of their biological bombs. Personally I like the way this is shape up with the "Iron Man 2.0" thing. Looks like we're going to have a showdown between a Iron Man 1.0 (mechanical) vs Iron Man 2.0 (biological).

And while I dont like the idea of Stane's kid coming back to haunt Tony, Fraction is at least making good use of it, and already you hate the character, and thats a good sign.

No comments: