Thursday, June 5, 2008

Knaufs No More

So for those that havent heard father and son team Daniel and Charles Knauf will no longer be on the Iron Man: Director of Shield title. No new creative team has been announced but one or two arcs shall have guest teams.

All in all I'm not that upset about this. Dont get me wrong, I'm not calling the Knaufs bad. They have a good grasp of Tony and have written him well, especially undoing a lot of the personality changes that extremis had caused. They were writing Iron Man correctly and partially at a time when he was being kicked around left and right. The problem with the Knaufs were that for the most part, their stories were slow going.

Many issues had a lot of drama and filler, and while some is fine a comic isnt about drama. Many of their arcs I found to be a bit lackluster, and the latest Mandarin arc didnt really pick up until the final issues. Plus it seemed like they wanted to do a lot but just didnt have the pages to do it.

The only thing I am excited about with this move is that there will be a new colorist on board. As I said in my post "A Matter of Color" a few months back, I was very displeased with the dull and drab coloring of the book that really muted the livliness of the story, plus also degraded the quality of art from De La Torra and Guice. It really looked like color was being smugged on and the art suffered greatly because of it.

As much as I hope the new team would be the current team of Michelinie, Layton and Lim on the Legacy of Doom book, or the now de-lurking Kaminski, I'm not really holding out hope. Still we will have to take a wait and see attitude until the new regular team is announced.

No comments: