Monday, June 23, 2008

Legacy of Doom #3

So it dawns on me I forgot to mention my thoughts on Legacy of Doom #3.

Again I am loving this creative team. Frankly, this is the first time in years I feel like I'm reading the real Tony Stark (though to their credit the Knaufs were getting the character back to that place). Dave and Bob have him down so pat its almost scary. Lim's pencils continue with that classic feel and the colors are nice and vibrant. It really feels like we're reading a comic from the 80's.

The plot was good, with Stark needing to use his brains once again to get out of a mess rather than brute force. And to me, Tony saying "I hate magic" never gets old. I also like the insult Tony threw at Doom (don't want to ruin it if you didn't read the book, and shame on you if you're not picking it up).

The issue ends with Stark "donning" the Mystical Armor (posted below for your viewing pleasure), which I have to say is really cool (my only peeve being the pony tail thing on the helmet which I've never liked on any armor, but I digress). Though I must ponder why Excalibur changed Doom's tunic from green to black while the Iron Man armor was completely changed in shape. Maybe I'm just thinking too much.

I have to say I'm disappointed this is only a four issue series and we are coming up on the final one. Its really been a blast from the past in many ways and I look forward to the finale next month.


2 comments:

Peter Welmerink said...

It's great to see one of my favorite IM writers and illustrators. I like this series...and, yes, it seems waaay too short a series.

Chaos said...

Yeah, I think if they wanted to they could have made it longer, and it seems like the series is going way to fast. Regardless it is a great peice of work all around from the story to art. Not much longer until the final issue comes out.

Thanks for the comment.