Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Three Suggestions for the Captain America Costume

Captain America, the Star Spangled Avenger. His costume is one of the most recognizable in comics, having changed almost none over the years. Even in different realities writers and artists are loathe to depart from the basic design. Though iconic, I do not think the costume is above being changed to some extent. Below I have listed three changes to the costume that I think would make it better. Of course, we technically have two Captain Americas running around now, the original Steve Rogers and the new Bucky Barnes. Each has a different costume so will require different adjustments (mostly).


Steve Rogers
1) Lose the scales on the torso
The scales to me just make the costume look…off. On the rare occasion, they do look good but for the most part, they are ill fit to the rest of the costume that is smooth. Making the whole costume scales would make Cap look like a porcupine or some other wild animal, so that option is out. I think it was better when the whole costume was smooth and uniform.

2) Darker Blue
I have never really understood the light blue. If his costume is the American flag, why does he not use a dark blue? Granted it depends on the colorist on just how dark it is, but I do not think I have ever seen it the actual dark blue of our flag.

3) Change the boot cuffs
When I see these, I think of pirates and apparel hundreds of years old, not super heroes. Honestly, when is the last time we have seen boots like this? It is just such an out of date style, even for comic books, that I cannot understand why it is kept around. The Ultimate Cap costume got it right by using more form fitting and realistic gloves and boots.


Bucky Barnes
1) Lose the shine
I know Captain America is supposed to be a ray of hope, but let us not take it literally. When contrasted against the non-shiny black of the rest of the outfit, to me it clashes.

2) Colors on the legs
I do not think there is a good balance to this costume at all. All the color is situated on the head and torso, with nothing but black on legs and small red gloves. While a hefty dose of black can be fine, there is too much of it. At least make the boots a different color.

3) Boot cuffs
Just like Rogers, the boot cuffs are not only ridiculous looking but completely outdated. Even being all black they still do not look good .

No comments: