Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Director of Shield Title Cancelled

Marvel has announced (well, did a few weeks ago) that the Director of Shield title will be coming to an end, and the Invincible Iron Man title will now be the main book, continuing with the team of Matt Fraction and Salvador Larocca. The title is going to be replaced with a new ongoing War Machine title.

I have some mixed feelings on this. Stark as the head of Shield had potential, but it was really never used; more so how Stark was used with his companies as plot support. We never see much of how he really operates Shield beyond just barking orders and a few changes here and there and to me that is a waste. Part of it might have been the Knaufs (whose leaving the title makes more sense now) never intended it and had to write it into their Mandarin arc, which would mean it take a back seat. Though the title of Director of Shield was there, did we really ever feel like it was part of the character? For me it wasnt.

On one hand though I am kind of happy it's gone as I never really felt it was suited to Stark. I just couldnt really buy in to him being the head of an organization like Shield. Not that he couldnt be, but espionage and counter terrorism arent exactly his specialties, and definitely isnt the same as running a corporation. I've always liked the more independent Stark and I think it will lead to more character specific adventures like before (as in he's by himself and doesnt always have the Hellicarrier close behind). Which brings me to my next point.

If the DOS title is gone, Nick Fury has resurfaced and Maria Hill has been proven to not be a Skrull, I think its pretty clear Tony's days as the head of Shield are done. Maybe Stark's time there will leave a lasting effect, but I doubt it with the impact Secret Invasion is bound to have on the Marvel U.

Finally, the War Machine monthly title. To say the least, I'm skeptical. Back in the 90's when Iron Man's popularity was at one of it's highest, and Rhodes was still a major supporting character in the Iron Man book War Machine only lasted a few years. Is there enough to a character that hasnt even been built up much lately to try and carry his own title again? Plus there is that thing where Rhodey now appears to be half cyborg or something. If you havent been reading the Initiative title it was revealed Rhodes is part bionic (half his face included) though we're not sure why yet. I REALLY hate that direction, and hope to hell Marvel plans on it being a temporary plot device and to get rid of it sooner rather than later. Rhodey as a cyborg is just... wrong.

1 comment:

Peter Welmerink said...

I am assuming the DOS:IM #31 I just picked up (I don't get to my friendly neighborhood comic store weekly) is the END of that particular title, since they wrapped up that Overkill Mind storyline.