Saturday, May 17, 2008

Iron Man: Box Office Smash

In it's first two weeks out, Iron Man made over $150 million in just the US alone and was the top grossing movie both weekends. That's expecting not to be the case with the new Narnia movie coming out, but I have to say that it's nice to see the movie lived up to the hype in terms of performance and critiquing. Sure it took a dozen years or so to finally get it done, but good things come to those that wait. I'm also sure long time Iron Man fans going to see it one, two or eight times helped out, but who's counting?

It was really no surprise then that Marvel officially announced Iron Man 2 after the first weekend along with a host of other movies, inlcuding the Avengers which will also feature Iron Man.

I still remember when the footage from the San Diego comicon leaked onto the web. Favreau seemed a bit nervous presenting a movie that had had so much turmoil in getting it made, switching writers and directors numerous times. Then after the preview finished the audience erupted, and so began the massive hype of the movie. But what I actually remember most is the looks on Favreau's and Howard's faces once the crowd went into an uproar: they were genuinely surprised and happy of how the fans reacted. It was kind of a "wow, we're part of something big here" look, and they were.

So the movie will probably continue to do good for another few weeks, then have good DVD sales. I honestly think the second movie will do better as now that the origin and background have all been taken care of, it will leave more room for action and the like. I'd say I cant wait for it, but since I waited a dozen years for the first, I don't think I will have that much of a problem.

No comments: