Monday, May 5, 2008

Go See Iron Man

If the title of the post didn’t give it away you know I am going to say this movie is good. It definitely lived up to the hype and a hundred million over the weekend suggested that many others agree. And to think, it all started with a few minute clip Favreau showed at the San Diego Comicon. But enough of that, on the review.


Acting
I admit, I am not a fan of Robert Downey Jr. I’ve felt in many of his roles he portray the character the same way, same tone, quirks and all. But I have to say he did a very good job with Stark. His portrayal was very believable and I truly felt like I was watching the comic book character in the flesh. Kudos to RDJ for nailing it.

Jeff Daniels did a good job as Stane also, pulling of the sly, manipulative and greedy persona. Though there wasn't nearly enough time to play out the character like in the comics I thought there was enough that the relation was there.

Paltrow did a good performance with Potts and her chemistry with RDJ was noticeably good. Though maybe a bit more stern and perky than I pictured Potts, I liked the character.

Howard did a good job with Rhodey, but I felt the character was written wrong. He seemed like a pushover at times, just taking whatever Stark dished out at him, and Howard’s soft voice added to that, though I digress that I was used to the gruff tone of the 90’s cartoons that Rhodey had. I don’t blame Howard for Rhodey being a bit of a lame duck so to speak, but the character was definitely lacking the grit and intensity Rhodey has.


Plot
The first half hour was basically the set up and origin, but it was entertaining enough that at no point where you impatiently wanting the movie to move along. The origin was a bit different, but along the comics enough that at no point would you shake your head knowing the true origin.

The action was good, and there was enough to keep the movie interesting. Seeing the suit be built by Stark and him doing the various tests was entertaining and you were genuinely intrigued by it.

The movie was much more humorous than the other non-comedic comic movies, Starks witty one liners prevalent in that along with a few other things that I won’t tell you since I will keep this spoiler free.


The Suit
It was awesome. Even after all the previews, all the pictures and videos, it was still awesome even in the clips we had already seen. At no point did it look fake, but seeing all the moving parts was a bit strange, but that was to be expecting since we wouldn’t see much of it in the comics. It looked real, acted real and was believable in its construction. And frankly, I thought it looked a lot better than the current extremis armor. In combat or in flight you truly got a feel for how powerful the suit was.


All in all the movie was very good, and there were hints at the sequel which again, I won’t be giving away at all, but you’ll like it. The characters were true to the comic and the performances good, and the action while not constant was entertaining. If you haven't already seen it, once, twice or five times like others have, make time to.

No comments: