Monday, January 14, 2008

Favorite Specialty Armors

Like I promised, I am doing my five favorite specialty armors. For the sake of variety, and that there isn’t enough to really do two different entries, I will be including alternate universe armors in this selection also. I base my selections on the functionality and appearance of the armor, not so much the impact they had. The next entry will be my least favorite armors.


5) Stealth Armor Marks I and II

The stealth armor was a neat concept, not just because it was made at a time where we didn’t have stealth bombers and fighters, but also because it carried no weapons, forcing Stark to outwit his opponents even more than normal. The black (or blue, it doesn’t seem to be decided really) paint and red eyes and mouth slits further add to the effect of the armor. A job well done.


4) Space Armor Mark I

This was an interesting concept at the time, both aesthetically and functionally. It featured the first mouth-less faceplate and triangular uni-beam design, plus a bulkier build for additional life support and thrusters. It featured nuclear based boot jets to escape the atmosphere and the gauntlets could be launched as grapplers. A very neat design for the time.


3) Hydro Armor

The Hydro armor was a pretty neat design, but what was interesting was the weapons of the suit. To deal with underwater threats, Tony used proven human technology and mixed it with sea creature’s natural defenses like electricity (eels) and ink (squids). While not the most advanced feel, you can immediately tell what it was designed for.



2) Heavy Metal Armor

If you don’t know the armor, it was from the two issue Iron Man – XO Man of War cross over back in the 90’s. Though we didn’t get to see much of this armor’s capabilities, what we did see it seemed to be able to more than hold its own. The design itself was interesting, kind of a mating between the Modular and Retro armor that preceded it, but luckily more of the former. It had a more classic helmet and uni-beam, but had more of a Modular layout with the legs, torso and arms. The gauntlets were a bit odd, but I liked them. If this suit had followed the Modular I wouldn’t have minded.


1) Hulk Buster I

This hulking (pun intended) suit was really an attachment onto the modular armor instead of a stand alone, but it’s enough to be classified as a specialty. Meant to battle the green goliath at his own game, the armor did just that, allowing Stark to deal blow for blow while still maintaining more speed and agility. Personally, I think Iron Man was winning the battle, but since they stopped fighting and started talking, we’ll never know who would have won. The armor itself did look extremely tough with the enhanced legs, arms and shoulders, but I wasn’t a fan of the Juggernaught style helmet. Still, it comes in at #1 for my favorite specialty armors.

No comments: