Monday, January 7, 2008

Favorite Armors

If you took the time to peruse Bob Layton’s site like I suggested in my last entry, his one special feature this month are his favorite armors. Since the blog (I really don’t like that word) is still pretty young, I figured it would be another good starting entry as it helps others to get to know what I like some more. So, here are my top five standard Iron Man armors, I will do an entry next on the top five specialty armors.


5) Heroes Reborn / Prometheum Armor


I know a lot of people don’t like this armor because it was so out there, but I thought it was pretty neat. The smoke stacks were a cool addition, and I thought the thigh-pad things were too. The faceplate had a more “human” feel to it so to speak as it did not have the normal eye slits and a more contoured curvature. It was a lot different look with the tubing base and detached upper layers, but one I think worked. Though this had to be the most non-universally drawn armor ever.



4) Grell / Tinman Armor (Mark II)


Sometimes called the Grell armor, Tinman armor or even Prometheum 2 armor, this armor too over for the short lived (and rightfully so) SKIN armor. This armor was like a mating between the Prometheum and Neo Classic armors, with it’s more form fitting and detached style. The Mark II (at least by my designation) is the one without the tubes on the legs. I thought it was an interesting concept with the heavy duty feet and large shoulders. Though this armor was written to be quite weak (a building fire over heating it? Are you serious?) in terms of looks it was really cool.



3) Silver Centurion


When I first saw this armor, I was in awe. So much more powerful the previous design (and the greatest leap in power from one suit to another in my mind), the Silver Centurion gave a whole new look to Iron Man both aesthetically and in terms of power. A new color scheme, triangular uni-beam and large shoulder pads made it stick out immediately, and a cloaking device, pulse bolts and new repulsors showed it meant business. It was really a leap ahead in so many ways that it’s never really been tried again.



For first place I actually have a tie between two suits who I cant really make up my mind on.


1) War Machine


While it can bee seen as a specialty, the fact that Rhodes wore it after Tony died makes me label it as a regular. But honestly, what is there not to like about this suit? The most menacing looking with it’s faceplate, cold gray and white color scheme and covered with weapons, the War Machine lived up to it’s name. After his old suit got man handled by the Masters of Silence, the War Machine was able to hold off all three, then tore threw everything Justin hammer threw it at. It’s a testament that if Tony wants to go in guns blazing and kick the crap out of something he can.


1) Modular Armor



The thing I loved about it was how modern and advanced it looked. Part of Marvel’s redesigns in the 90’s, the Modular Armor had a lot of neat new design aspects such as the pentagon uni-beam, “pants” look instead of the “underwear and boots” look (the former being light years better than the latter in my opinion), and most of all, no mouth on the faceplate for a menacing look. The concept of replacing the various parts for mission specific ones was a great concept, but sadly never really utilized. This armor was way too short lived, especially seeing it’s replacement. The times we saw this suit in action it did look quite powerful.









No comments: