Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tony Stark Disassembled

Well if you haven’t heard by now the upcoming arc for Iron Man following World’s Most Boring… err, World’s Most Wanted, will be Tony Stark Disassembled.

Sigh.

So basically the next arc is exactly what we thought it will be: dealing with the aftermath WMW whose sorely predictable ending will end with a fight between Stark and Osborn and each emerging victorious in their own way. TSD will focus on Stark being put back together as a person both in body and mind.

Oh look, more ways to make Stark pay for the past three events fans hated that he didn’t actually cause. Yippee! For whatever reason Marvel decided twelve issues of crapping on Stark wasn’t really enough, so they need to create a supplementary arc to fully cover how shattered he has become. I know I can’t wait!

Seriously, how is this supposed to be entertaining? Honestly, I want to know. We’ve had to deal with an arc where we’re told five times and issue Stark is losing his mind and running away. It’s been a comic adaptation of the movie Run Lola, Run! featuring Iron Man.

Not to mention they pick a name for the arc that related to Avengers: Disassembled, considered a terrible arc by Avengers fans. Way to go Marvel! Nothing entices people to read an arc by relating it to a failed arc.

I don't know what to say at this point, I just don't. I thought this would be a long, well thought out post but as I wrote I found myself unable to muster anything that I haven’t said a hundred times over. Even the paragraphs that I’ve written seem like a repetition of the one before it.

The title has become so boring and predictable and Marvel has told us the six issues that follow will just be more of the same crap. I’m seriously starting to contemplate dropping the title because it is just that uninteresting and banal.

I’m getting depressed just writing this article, and that is probably the most telling thing of all about the direction of this book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow man, you're one angry motherfucker. Avengers:Disassembled, for one, is held in very high regard among every Marvel fan I know, and WMW has converted manypeople who previously hated Marvel all together. Matt's work on Iron Man is by far some of the best work I've seen from Marvel, better even than Brubakers work on Cap, or the Bendis run on Daredevil. Maybe you should have a go at writing some Iron Man. Maybe it'll be every bit as shit as you say Matt's has been.

Love and Kisses.

Chaos said...

Yes I am angry, as are most long time Iron Man fans who are tired of having their favorite character run through the mud because a writer (Millar) pruposefully wrote him out of character in Civil War. I'm pretty tired of having to defend a character for doing stuff he would never have done for the last five years.

Funny every Marvel you know likes Disassembled cause everyone I know hates it. I'm started to wonder how this works out as I am seeing things like this more and more often when it comes to fans.

I'm not sure what you see in Fraction's work that makes it so good. It is drawn out even by his own admittance and there has been little action to keep it frmo being an outright drama. Zeke Stane wasnt very interesting, WMW and Stark Disassembled were very repetitive in their issues. I dont think hes a horrible writer but at the same time I think he leaves a lot of room for improvement, and if you look at my other posts you will see I give credit where it is due.

As for me writing Iron Man, who gives a crap? This and arguments like this are one of the weakest I hear in my life because its not an actual rebuttle nor does it support the opposite view in any way. Am I the one being paid to put forth a good story? No. Am I the one writing the stories that fans are paying money for? No. So what does it matter if I can do better? It doesnt. Horribly lame argument as it always is. When the day comes that I am writing Iron Man and it is shit, people can feel free to say so.